With the legislative session in full stride I thought this would be a good time to provide an update on some bills currently in committee. One bill that’s getting a lot of attention is HB 1357 which has a direct impact on condominium association and homeowner associations. Some of the key components of the bill are;
- A mandatory requirement that all condominium associations greater than 500 and all HOA’s greater than 750 parcels post its official records on a website;
- A requirement that directors and officers disclose activities which could reasonably be construed as a conflict of interest;
- A prohibition against enforcement of traffic and criminal laws within the community;
- A relaxsation on the duration of time and frequency of rentals of homes in HOA communities;
- A requirement to provide payment plans for delinquent owners prior to collection.
HB 1357 is one of many bills circulating the legislature that could have a direct impact on real property in Florida. Updates will be provided as this and other bills evolve throughout the legislative process.